Teething

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

My mom called the other day. She asked how I was doing and I broke down. Full on ugly cry style. 
It had been a rough week. A rough month, actually. 

When I took Van in for his six month check-up the nurse mentioned how she felt teeth coming through. I got so excited. I thought we were seeing the light at the end of the teething tunnel. 

But, TWO MONTHS later, we're still working our way through the teething thing. Not one. single. tooth to show for all our sleepless nights and cranky days. Not one tooth! 

You know me, I'm a minimalist. 
I really don't care to buy a bunch of crap for every single problem. 
But after two months of teething, I was at my whits end and willing to try just about anything.

And so we did. 

And guess what. Some of it worked!!! 

So here ya go, a minimalist's guide to what a teething baby really needs. 
Nothing more, nothing less.

These are the best there is, really. They are easy for little hands to grab and hold. They are simple with one simple purpose- soothing teething gums. Unlike other teething toys that distract my little guy from actually chewing on the toy, biting these sticks is really the only thing to do with them. bonus points: they have a hole in the bottom so you can attached them to a binky clip (hallelujah!) 

If your little one is anything like my little guy, any food needs to go in the mouth. These are small enough for a baby to hold by themselves and they dissolve quickly so they won't choke on them. I hand these to my fussy little guy while I make dinner. He happily chomps while I cook. Win!

I try to avoid medicine as much as possible but having Acetaminophen on hand is a good idea. At 2:00 a.m. when nothing works and you need your sleep, you're going to be happy you have some.

I have the sweetest neighbor/friend. She's an expert in holistic remedies. When my teething gel wasn't working and I was about to loose it (again), I called to ask for a recommendation. She mentioned she was headed to the Health Food store and offered to pick something up for me. She's an angel. She delivered them to my house about an hour later and the little guy was peacefully sleeping 10 minutes after that. These things work! 

There's only one thing worse than a teething baby- a teething, hungry baby. When your baby is in the trenches of teething and he won't eat his food because his gums hurt, a nice and soft baby spoon does wonders. bonus points: the tips of these spoons turn white if the food is too hot AND they are one of the cheaper options. win and win. 

No comments

Post a Comment

The Simple Days. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.