Raising Myself

Wednesday, September 9, 2015


I wasn't the easiest kid to raise. I know this. I've always known this.

I came into this world with a little more "spice" than most. (a term used to describe me by my Grandpa, a man who has understood me from day one)

They always said, "You're going to get a girl just like you someday".

And look, here she is. 

She looks like me. She acts like me. She thinks like me.

She's the closest thing to me without actually being me.

She's my mini me.

And I love her something fierce. 

And, you know what, I admire her too.

This girl.

She came into this world with a little more "spice" than most.
I love to tell the story of when the NICU nurse gave her a bath for the very first time.
"No offense, but you've got a spitfire on your hands," the nurse said as she chuckled.

She's spent a few more hours in time out than her other siblings and we've had some power struggles too, but man, this girl is strong.

She's never once doubted who she is.

She's never once doubted the power of her Heavenly Father.

She's never once doubted her ability to do good.

Things don't phase her. They don't embarrass her.

Fear doesn't stop her.

I always thought raising myself would be a burden. A little dose of dreadful Karma.
But these days, it's a lesson in self love.

It's learning that every single person has both strengths and weaknesses.
What you may see as weaknesses, might just be your biggest strengths.

Be who you are. Love yourself.

Because if you saw yourself through the loving eyes of a mother, you'd see a person worth admiring.




No comments

Post a Comment

The Simple Days. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.