HOW I GOT THE SHOT: Low Key Lighting

Saturday, October 31, 2015


After a month jam packed with adventures and an incredibly humbling week, these last few days at home feel heaven sent. I can't do structure and schedules. Its not a strength of mine. Some days we pack 3 adventures into one day...and sometimes we stay home and spend two hours picking which page to color (today). And I think both are good. I mean, it's childhood right? It's suppose to be enjoyed. If a day at home is going to be better for our souls than adventuring, then you better bet we're going to stay home.

HOW I GOT THE SHOT:

First of all, turn off all the lights in your house. No matter what kind of photo you're going for, always turn your lights off. Use the natural light from your windows instead. Always. 


Second, place your cute little one next to a window (in this shot she's a little below the window). Have them slightly face the light. Now pick up your camera! Turn your camera to manual mode. Set it to spot focus and put the focus point on a part of your little one's face that is lit. Now its just a matter of setting your settings. Your aiming to have your settings properly expose the lit portion of their face. Just aim for this one goal and the shadows will fall into place. As always, I start with the aperture I want (I usually shoot at a 1.8), I then move to an appropriate shutter speed (shutter speeds are given in 1/(some number). The bottom number should always be at least twice your lens's focal length.). I then move to ISO if I need more or less light. 


This one was pretty much nailed in camera. But don't worry if you don't get it perfectly dark, Lightroom can make up the difference. Edit your picture as you normally would making the lighted portion of the picture look how you want it to. If your background is still not dark enough, try messing with the contrast slider first. Then move to the shadows or blacks sliders if you need more drama without the contrast.

No comments

Post a Comment

The Simple Days. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.